Hello. I now have a broken FIAT in California

You MUST post in this forum BEFORE you can post in any other forum.
nenes78
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 FIAT 500 Abarth
Xbox ID (Optional): Nenes78
PlayStation ID (Optional): vgra

Hello. I now have a broken FIAT in California

Post by nenes78 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:41 pm

Hello All. I am on the FB page and asked about engines today and was given a link to the forum here about engine replacements. Piston in cyl 2 blew chunks and the turbo and exhaust valves were damaged. Now I’m looking to fix it. Took it to the shop and was quoted $4900+ to rebuild it or $3000 plus the cost of a used motor to get it back. As of right now the car will just sit as I can’t afford either.

on FB I asked what year engines will drop in since the mechanic told me my 2013 can only take the 12/13 years because the crank sensor location moved in the 14+ engines. Some answer on FB said it can be any engine and that’s what I am looking into at this point.

Hope to have my Abarth back soon but at this point who knows.

texanbrit
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 500c Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): paul_rogerson_tx

Re: Hello. I now have a broken FIAT in California

Post by texanbrit » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:43 am

Welcome to the group, sorry about the grief.

For sure you can use any 1.4L Turbo long block from a Dodge Dart, any year 500 Abarth etc. The only long block that is really different is in the 124 Spider (it has different engine mounts for it's RWD application).

Madfiat noted the issue with crank sensor moving between different years or platforms and resolved it when he had to replace his engine. I'll nudge him to join in the discussion here.
2013 Abarth 500c (NGen Turbo'd) - Isabella
2012 500 Pop (broken, engine rebuild on hold) - Popabella
2014 500L (Daily workhorse) - The Hulk
2013 Abarth 500 (broken engine, current project) - Abby

nenes78
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 FIAT 500 Abarth
Xbox ID (Optional): Nenes78
PlayStation ID (Optional): vgra

Post by nenes78 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:11 pm

texanbrit wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:43 am Welcome to the group, sorry about the grief.

For sure you can use any 1.4L Turbo long block from a Dodge Dart, any year 500 Abarth etc. The only long block that is really different is in the 124 Spider (it has different engine mounts for it's RWD application).

Madfiat noted the issue with crank sensor moving between different years or platforms and resolved it when he had to replace his engine. I'll nudge him to join in the discussion here.
Thanks for response and any help about the sensor would be appreciated. I may have found a 2014 engine, so I will be tackling this over the next few weeks.

MadFiat
Site Admin
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): madfiat
Xbox ID (Optional): madfiat

Post by MadFiat » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:04 pm

The mounting bracket for the earlier crank sensor is present on the later motors, just not used. So just move any sensors and wiring over from the engine in your car to the replacement and it will be fine.

Compare your crank pulley as well. Make sure it has the same setup (if yours has a sensor, make sure you have the teeth on the pulley and they're the same count and configuration). If it is any different, swap the crank pulley.
2015 Rosso Abarth 5MT - MAD FIAT - EC Phase 2 + Supporting Mods
2015 Granito Lucente 500T 6AT - Projecto Estupido
2017 Fiat 124 Spider 6MT - Another one???

Return to “Welcome Mat”