Hi from west Texas

You MUST post in this forum BEFORE you can post in any other forum.
DarkCurrent
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

Hi from west Texas

Post by DarkCurrent » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:41 pm

Hello all,

My name is Danny G and I go by "DarkCurrent or DC" a nick name from my engineering days. :D I'm new to the "Forms World" and a new owner of a 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth. I come seeking guidance and insight on making my Abarth the best I can make it.

Quick overview. I bought this car in Feb of this year and it is bone stock with 51k miles. I have already purchased an ATP catted down pipe and a Forge atmospheric valve. I'm about purchase a ATM FMIC and the ATM CAI system, tower and frame brace.

Any help and tips on a good tune, whether it be a "plug and play" tune like 500 Madness max power pro, Tork tune, Euro + Drive tube. Or, should I go with the traditional tune at a local shop? :?:

I have a million questions on how to make this car the best it can be. Thank you all for reading my post and for the future help and tips you'll provide. :)

texanbrit
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 500c Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): paul_rogerson_tx

Re: Hi from west Texas

Post by texanbrit » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:26 pm

Welcome Danny!

Sounds like your already doing some good investigation of the different options. The ATM parts are really good.

Opinions on tuning vary from individual to individual, but hopefully we can help you find the right information for you.

The flash ECU tunes are far superior in terms of way that power is delivered. Also they can be tweaked to make the most of the modifications that you have. There are a couple of threads that discuss the different tune options. I'm currently trying a few different options to see what I like. I always say find a tuner that you think you can work with as the better the back and forth communication about what you want, and any issues you have, the better the tune.

The piggyback solutions are essentially lying to the ECU about boost and timing, so that limits what they can achieve. Also the more aggressive piggybacks seem to upset the ECU, and the ECU retaliates by pulling power to compensate. This means you either end up with check engine lights or the need to reset the ECU every few weeks so it unlearns the piggyback. That said piggy backs are a quick way to add power and are entertaining. For a couple of hundred bucks for a used one it's pretty good value.

A dyno tune is obviously going to have the very best results. Sadly, it's unlikely that any random local tuning shop understands the multi-air and the Magneti Marelli ECU well enough to do much that is useful with it. I've tried that option in Houston and it's always been disappointing. One possible option is to hook up with a tuner, like John at Tork, and have him remote tune while your car is on a local dyno. That's probably what I'll do next after I quit messing around with my current projects.

Glad you're here! Welcome again!
Last edited by texanbrit on Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: minor grammar issues.
2013 Abarth 500c (NGen Turbo'd) - Isabella
2012 500 Pop (broken, engine rebuild on hold) - Popabella
2014 500L (Daily workhorse) - The Hulk
2013 Abarth 500 (broken engine, current project) - Abby

sportfan
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Fiat 500 Sport

Post by sportfan » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:16 pm

A rear sway bar would be a good investment also. Welcome to the site!

MadFiat
Site Admin
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): madfiat
Xbox ID (Optional): madfiat

Post by MadFiat » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:28 pm

Welcome!

Everything Paul said is good advice.
2015 Rosso Abarth 5MT - MAD FIAT - EC Phase 2 + Supporting Mods
2015 Granito Lucente 500T 6AT - Projecto Estupido
2017 Fiat 124 Spider 6MT - Another one???

DarkCurrent

Post by DarkCurrent » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:55 pm

Hi everyone! Update 1.0.

Great news... I'm finally getting some parts in for the Abarth!! 8-) Both ATM parts should be arriving this week so I think I'm going to wait until I get at least the FMIC to start installation since I have to remove the front bumper to install it. Super excited to get things started, however, I think I might of overlooked on not upgrading my spark plugs and ignition coils. What do you guys think? Since I'm adding more dense air and improving AIT with both ATM's, can the stock coils and plugs handle it or should I upgrade one or both? Any help with tips and trick on installation would be greatly appreciated.

Parts in:
ATP catted down pipe
Forge blowoff valve
EC boost leak fix
EC silicone vacuum line kit

Parts pending arrival:
ATM FMIC (this week)
ATM fender well intake (this week)
Neuspeed front sway bar (TBD)
Neuspeed rear torsion bar (TBD)
Abarth.jpg
Abarth.jpg (127.67 KiB) Viewed 6767 times

DarkCurrent

Post by DarkCurrent » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:17 pm

@Texanbrit. Thank you for all the great information, you defitnatly gave me a better understaning on tuning these cars. Based on your suggestions and the research I've been doing, it looks like I will be going with a Tork tune. I'm still doing more research and also looking to see if I can find a shop that is willing to tune the car.

@Sportfan. Thanks for the suggestion! I went ahead and got both first instead of the tower and frame brace. I found that those 2 upgrades will impact the handling more. Unfortunately they're on back order and still don't have a delivery date.

texanbrit

Post by texanbrit » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:27 pm

I wouldn't worry with the plugs and coilpacks unless you have a misfire. The OEM plugs seem to be the best, and the stock coilpacks work but are a bit inconsisitent in quality. Also don't change them without discussing with your tuner, as they might have some recommendation on how to setup to get the best from your tune.

MadFiat
Site Admin
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): madfiat
Xbox ID (Optional): madfiat

Post by MadFiat » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:40 pm

Looks good!
2015 Rosso Abarth 5MT - MAD FIAT - EC Phase 2 + Supporting Mods
2015 Granito Lucente 500T 6AT - Projecto Estupido
2017 Fiat 124 Spider 6MT - Another one???

DarkCurrent

Post by DarkCurrent » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:50 pm

texanbrit wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:27 pm I wouldn't worry with the plugs and coilpacks unless you have a misfire. The OEM plugs seem to be the best, and the stock coilpacks work but are a bit inconsisitent in quality. Also don't change them without discussing with your tuner, as they might have some recommendation on how to setup to get the best from your tune.
Hi texanbrit,

Ok, that's what I was thinking, just thought about it since I'm adding more air to the system if that would be an issue. I read somewhere that someone had to replace spark plug and coils when they added an FMIC. I do need to find a tuner somewhere close to Midland/Odessa that can help me out. I don't want to make the drive to Dallas or San Antonio if I don't have to.

On a great note! :D I've received both the ATM FMIC and ATM fenderwell intake and I'm currently installing all my parts this weekend. I will update with pictures of final install and my take away notes on all of it. :ugeek:

texanbrit

Post by texanbrit » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:31 am

Just make sure you have a healthy set of NGK SIK Laser Iridium plugs. Check with your tuner on what gap they want you to set, but it's typically between .024 to .028.
People swear by the Alfa 4C coil packs, but my opinion is that's an unnecessary expense until you find you have an issue. I've also heard that the 4C coilpacks don't seal quite as well as the OEM plugs letting oil/dirt into the plug.

Return to “Welcome Mat”