Unique rear suspension setup

Try to Not Fall Over
doverosx
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Re: Unique rear suspension setup

Post by doverosx » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:48 am

That's the other shtick of it too. You'll hear from two sides of the fence and one side from the suspension gurus is that the OEM elected spring and shock locations for a reason. Springs support the weight of the car so the particular attachment points are designed to bear load whereas the shock mounts *may not* be sufficient for the loads experienced at the shock attachment points.

As for custom rear, BC charges about $700 for 2x fronts or 2x rears. It's about $350/corner. I have a set of fronts at Fat Cat Motorsports right now for development work.

operamatt
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2012/Fiat/Abarth

Post by operamatt » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:55 am

doverosx wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:48 am That's the other shtick of it too. You'll hear from two sides of the fence and one side from the suspension gurus is that the OEM elected spring and shock locations for a reason. Springs support the weight of the car so the particular attachment points are designed to bear load whereas the shock mounts *may not* be sufficient for the loads experienced at the shock attachment points.

As for custom rear, BC charges about $700 for 2x fronts or 2x rears. It's about $350/corner. I have a set of fronts at Fat Cat Motorsports right now for development work.

helpful info, definitely something to think about
“if one day speed kills me.... i was probably driving a fiat”

Shadowshaggy

Post by Shadowshaggy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:39 am

If it weren't for Abarth Racing using the ExtremeShox setup as a coil-over shock, I wouldn't have considered it. But them an Ohlin both use that location with no OEM located spring.

FartieBartie
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

Post by FartieBartie » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:41 pm

Would it be worth considering removal of the coilover spring and treating these as adjustable shocks? then you could also use a cheap set of adjustable perches and springs in the stock location if you need a different spring rate/ ride height.

Shadowshaggy

Post by Shadowshaggy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:17 pm

These are 510in/lb springs which are ideal, just a little less adjustment than the Ohlins.....and of course way less money.

I'll have to see how they sit. I'm out of town for the next week and not sure if I will get to it between events.....yay work. It'll be done ove the course of winter one way or the other. There's a track day in late November, hope to have them on and tested for that race.

Romanoaf
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 13 Fiat Abarth

Post by Romanoaf » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:37 am

I also like the Idea of a coil over shock on the rear, without spending 1000+ .. Looking at building a somewhat raised rally setup; I've been in contact with extreme tech and Tein (made the shocks for the Japanese version R3T) about pricing and availability, Extremetech does not sell to public, I'm waiting to hear back from Tein, as they need to come from Japan.

For reference, the numbers posted for the AC cars are backwards front to rear.

Below are the rates for the R3T:

Front
r3tsus.JPG
r3tsus.JPG (151.14 KiB) Viewed 6661 times

Rear
Last edited by Romanoaf on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
13’ Abarth

doverosx
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Post by doverosx » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:56 am

If you have $200 put it in tires and leave the stock setup alone. BC charges $600 for fonts or rears NOT $1500 so I"m not sure where you pulled out that number.

Jonohhh

Post by Jonohhh » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:33 am

Definitely interested to see if the rear upper shock mounts can handle the spring force. I have done *zero* research into this, and I know it's not necessarily performance oriented, but I'd be interested to see if Nivomats could somehow be fitted to the rear so I can lower the back end to a sane height and still be able to load it up with 4 people + stuff and not have the back end on the ground.

Return to “Handling Mods - Fiat 500 / 500 Abarth”