MonoAir?

Base engine in the 2012-2017 Fiat 500.
Scallootch
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2012/FIAT/500
Your Instagram (Optional): Scallootch

Re: MonoAir?

Post by Scallootch » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:28 pm

MadFiat wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:45 pm...They installed the Haltech in a "piggyback" mode where it would override the fueling and timing from the stock PCM...

...Could the Haltech, in Piggyback mode, basically work like the old Unichip did? Except much more advanced? Allowing the stock PCM do so the grunt work, while the Haltech would monitor ethanol content, boost, etc and adjust timing and fuel as necessary to maximize performance?

Not as elegant as a full standalone, but would retain full PCM integration with the BCM, so you still have a fully functioning car in every other way, while having the ability to alter various parameters on the fly. Main challenge would be to keep the factory torque limiters happy while the Haltech does its work. That would if course require a tuner who knows what he's doing...
A valid approach for road users, I'm sure, but I'm deleting ABS and EPAS, to begin with, and I'm itching to replace the 11kg body wiring harness with a dedicated custom race harness, so it's full racecar mode for me.

I spoke with Bob Zecca roughly an hour ago and I suspect the current strategy will be to install the TJet head, throw a Haltech Elite 1500 at it, and fish around Italy for a Punto 16V/Panda 101HP nonturbo base tune.

MadFiat
Site Admin
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): madfiat
Xbox ID (Optional): madfiat

Post by MadFiat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:56 pm

Scallootch wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:28 pm
MadFiat wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:45 pm...They installed the Haltech in a "piggyback" mode where it would override the fueling and timing from the stock PCM...

...Could the Haltech, in Piggyback mode, basically work like the old Unichip did? Except much more advanced? Allowing the stock PCM do so the grunt work, while the Haltech would monitor ethanol content, boost, etc and adjust timing and fuel as necessary to maximize performance?

Not as elegant as a full standalone, but would retain full PCM integration with the BCM, so you still have a fully functioning car in every other way, while having the ability to alter various parameters on the fly. Main challenge would be to keep the factory torque limiters happy while the Haltech does its work. That would if course require a tuner who knows what he's doing...
A valid approach for road users, I'm sure, but I'm deleting ABS and EPAS, to begin with, and I'm itching to replace the 11kg body wiring harness with a dedicated custom race harness, so it's full racecar mode for me.

I spoke with Bob Zecca roughly an hour ago and I suspect the current strategy will be to install the TJet head, throw a Haltech Elite 1500 at it, and fish around Italy for a Punto 16V/Panda 101HP nonturbo base tune.
Yep, Tjet head will remove that headache. If you don't mind getting rid of all the factory integration (abs, traction control, etc) then that's an option that would work well. The hybrid method would allow a more factory like setup with all of that intact. But you would have much better tunability with a pure haltech engine management.
2015 Rosso Abarth 5MT - MAD FIAT - EC Phase 2 + Supporting Mods
2015 Granito Lucente 500T 6AT - Projecto Estupido
2017 Fiat 124 Spider 6MT - Another one???

Scallootch
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2012/FIAT/500
Your Instagram (Optional): Scallootch

Post by Scallootch » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:40 pm

I figured it out!

Energize the solenoids constant on with ECU and it's just a full-time, full lift and duration cam. Oil circulation's limited to draining down when power's off but heck, what's the worst that could happen? I was maybe overthinking it.

Got an AEM Infinity 6 on its way. Can't wait to make some noise with this thing.

MadFiat
Site Admin
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): madfiat
Xbox ID (Optional): madfiat

Post by MadFiat » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:04 pm

Interesting. I had forgotten about this thread. Had a conversation a while back with some friends though, and it seems you could manually control the multiair. I'm not sure it's nearly as complex as it's made out to be.
2015 Rosso Abarth 5MT - MAD FIAT - EC Phase 2 + Supporting Mods
2015 Granito Lucente 500T 6AT - Projecto Estupido
2017 Fiat 124 Spider 6MT - Another one???

Return to “Mods - 1.4 NA”