Where’s the party?

Discussion about the website and about Fiat-related topics that don't fit in other categories.
sportfan
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Fiat 500 Sport

Re: Where’s the party?

Post by sportfan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:04 pm

To me Facebook is a PITA. I like webpages/ forums like this way better

MadFiat
Site Admin
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): madfiat
Xbox ID (Optional): madfiat

Post by MadFiat » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:10 am

sportfan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:04 pm To me Facebook is a PITA. I like webpages/ forums like this way better
Agreed. For anything you might want to read later, it's very difficult to find old posts. I have even tried doing a "search" on a group before, and it always pulls in irrelevant posts. There's no topic overview (since it doesn't do "subject" lines). Attempts were made with the "notes" feature, but not only do people not know where that's at, it doesn't include user posts either.

I've always had the same (worse) complaint about Twitter. There's little effort to engage people in an extended discussion. It's all about the snap response to the latest item, the reshare, etc. They always argue you can "link" to the extended discussion, but nobody follows links, and even if they do, the discussion isn't connected directly to the linked content.

But it is what it is. That's why I maintain both. Admittedly, I do tend to post on Facebook more now because that's where they people are all at. I should probably make an effort to post here more as well.
2015 Rosso Abarth 5MT - MAD FIAT - EC Phase 2 + Supporting Mods
2015 Granito Lucente 500T 6AT - Projecto Estupido
2017 Fiat 124 Spider 6MT - Another one???

Mangavideo
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Abarth 500c
PlayStation ID (Optional): UKCoachCalipari

Post by Mangavideo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:51 pm

Sorry I haven't been active lately. I much prefer the close nit Forums although they are much less convenient on smart phones via Safari than FB Groups via FB App.
"Initially, it was a search for practicality. Ultimately, it was a decision of Passion"

MadFiat
Site Admin

Post by MadFiat » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:39 pm

Mangavideo wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:51 pm Sorry I haven't been active lately. I much prefer the close nit Forums although they are much less convenient on smart phones via Safari than FB Groups via FB App.
Totally understood. May be a small party here, but it's our party ;)

Mangavideo
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Abarth 500c
PlayStation ID (Optional): UKCoachCalipari

Post by Mangavideo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:04 am

MadFiat wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:39 pm
Mangavideo wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:51 pm Sorry I haven't been active lately. I much prefer the close nit Forums although they are much less convenient on smart phones via Safari than FB Groups via FB App.
Totally understood. May be a small party here, but it's our party ;)
Even FB has become bewildering. Used to be a few Fiat groups. Now there are so many general Fiat groups, Country of Origin, Parts, and Club groups, it’s hard to keep track of them all. 1 person gets their feelings hurt or gets banned, they just go start another group.
"Initially, it was a search for practicality. Ultimately, it was a decision of Passion"

texanbrit
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 500c Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): paul_rogerson_tx

Post by texanbrit » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:34 am

That is true. There are a couple of groups that seem to work hard at staying focused (like the Broken FIAT club obviously) but others seem to come and go.
2013 Abarth 500c (NGen Turbo'd) - Isabella
2012 500 Pop (broken, engine rebuild on hold) - Popabella
2014 500L (Daily workhorse) - The Hulk
2013 Abarth 500 (broken engine, current project) - Abby

Chef_B
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 500t

Post by Chef_B » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:15 pm

I have been taking quite a long break. :-) I am still frankly salty that I lost all my build information when a certain forum went dark. I do recognize it was my responsibility to back up my information, I just didnt realize at the time that it was important to me. I deleted bookfas and do not intend to go back. Had some medical issues that kept me away from my toolbox but am slowly getting back to repairing my car after being mean to it on Ohio 555.

I do not wish to adjudicate the events that lead to the creation of this forum, however I wanted to ask: Has anyone recovered that data? If so, could you contact me in DM? I tried the wayback machine at one time with no luck. At this point I wonder if my search skills were shit back then, but now I cannot even remember the URL. I would love to get my hands on the build details I shared there.

MadFiat
Site Admin

Post by MadFiat » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:17 am

If we ever decide to dark this forum, it will be announced first. It's cheap to run.

texanbrit
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 500c Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): paul_rogerson_tx

Post by texanbrit » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:10 am

Chef_B wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:15 pm I have been taking quite a long break. :-) I am still frankly salty that I lost all my build information when a certain forum went dark. I do recognize it was my responsibility to back up my information, I just didnt realize at the time that it was important to me. I deleted bookfas and do not intend to go back. Had some medical issues that kept me away from my toolbox but am slowly getting back to repairing my car after being mean to it on Ohio 555.

I do not wish to adjudicate the events that lead to the creation of this forum, however I wanted to ask: Has anyone recovered that data? If so, could you contact me in DM? I tried the wayback machine at one time with no luck. At this point I wonder if my search skills were shit back then, but now I cannot even remember the URL. I would love to get my hands on the build details I shared there.
Sadly the original data is largely gone. We did attempt to retrieve some of it, but were told no and when we showed we could get some data back from the wayback machine things got a bit unpleasant. It's water under the bridge now, but at least I think we all learned some lessons.

The good part is that a lot of the original members of that forum are still around, so hopefully much of the useful data is still in the community. We just need to find it.
Most of the "action" is now on Facebook, but we do try to copy anything useful we find to this group.
2013 Abarth 500c (NGen Turbo'd) - Isabella
2012 500 Pop (broken, engine rebuild on hold) - Popabella
2014 500L (Daily workhorse) - The Hulk
2013 Abarth 500 (broken engine, current project) - Abby

Return to “On Topic Discussion”