Tune Testing

Fiat 500s with Terbows.
texanbrit
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 500c Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): paul_rogerson_tx

Re: Tune Testing

Post by texanbrit » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:33 am

I was playing with AlfaODB to see if I remembered how to use it. I started the car and it idled unsteadily like it was going to stall then all of a sudden it had a cough and started to run properly. I'm wondering if the PCV valve was sticking after the car sat for weeks. I'll try to take it for a run today to see if it behaves better. Might just buy a AOS/PCV valve to have in the garage (just in case).
2013 Abarth 500c (NGen Turbo'd) - Isabella
2012 500 Pop (broken, engine rebuild on hold) - Popabella
2014 500L (Daily workhorse) - The Hulk
2013 Abarth 500 (broken engine, current project) - Abby

texanbrit

Post by texanbrit » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:03 pm

The saga of the PCV got worse. The car basically threw oil out of the dipstick tube. After cleaning the AOS and replacing the PCV valve it seems much happier, at least the oil is staying in the car. I should rerun the last tests but I sort of want to leave the car alone until after the Twisted 2020 weekend that is coming up.

texanbrit

Post by texanbrit » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:59 pm

This thread isn't forgotten, I just got stuck trying to fix the downpipe on the Abarth. I'm currently suffering from adhesive capsulitis and I can't move my arm much without crying like a baby. Even driving with my arm resting on the steering wheel is currently uncomfortable. So the car is up in the air looking forlorn.

Anyway, while whining to anyone who will listen I've also been thinking about these tests. I'm wondering if they are misleading or just wrong. The reason I say that is I took the tune that is slower than stock in the test and drove it all weekend at the Twisted 2020 event. The tune isn't a bad tune, and in the rev range that I use to drive quickly it performed very well. I could easily haul in the cars in front of me when I put my mind to it and never felt that the power wasn't there.

I think it's still interesting to see the whole rev range, but I'm wondering if I need to pick a specific range to compare performance across. Maybe that's not reasonable as different tunes use different power bands. However I think the original goal was to pick the best tune for me, so perhaps I just pick the band my ear likes and take a look at that. Still hoping to get some dyno time as well so we can have an independent (less duck taped together) test, but that will likely be in 2021 now.

Return to “Tech - Fiat 500 Abarth / T / 2018+ Pop/Lounge etc”