True Ram Air

Engine in the Abarth, 500T, 500L, 500X, 124, Dart, Renegade, and 2018+ 500 All.
Romanoaf
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 13 Fiat Abarth

True Ram Air

Post by Romanoaf » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:56 am

In the process of designing an intake for my car, I've read multiple descriptions of aftermarket intakes as "Ram Air" only because they utilize the factory inlet; the problem with this is that this inlet is drawing air from the bumper cavity, the large opening in the bumper mostly route air to cooling the rad and condenser, and whatever air is coming in from the emblem opening is made turbulent or static within that volume.

I did a quick sketch and CFD analysis of the bumper volume with air inlet (top right) and emblem inlet (bottom middle), the inlet is effectively picking up 0 pressure air~ no Ram
CFD Stock.jpg
CFD Stock.jpg (96.98 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
An easy solution to this issue might be to poke holes in the bumper, and I’ve seen this done once with an aftermarket bumper.

However, I’m not a fan of chopping up my factory bumper if I can help it, If the front emblem area is opened up a bit, using a smaller emblem, or none, it might make an ideal entry for a ram-air pipe. I made a simple design, that I'll adjust to avoid cutting and interference. The CFD analysis show smooth fast flow.
RAM air inlet.jpg
RAM air inlet.jpg (15.05 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
Ram Air CFD.jpg
Ram Air CFD.jpg (87.94 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
At the very least it would provide faster moving COLD air, and not somewhat turbulent warm air for an under hood open intake . Now with a system like stock or EC 4.1, this type of ram pipe would likely show greater benefit, as there would be vacuum applied directly to cold external air.
13’ Abarth

texanbrit
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 500c Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): paul_rogerson_tx

Re: True Ram Air

Post by texanbrit » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:37 am

The ram intake term is heavily abused, I've even seen some of the open filters under the hood called short ram intakes.

Anyway, looks like you're on the right path. I did a DRL delete to get the shortest distance to cooler, pressurized air.
2013 Abarth 500c (NGen Turbo'd) - Isabella
2012 500 Pop (broken, engine rebuild on hold) - Popabella
2014 500L (Daily workhorse) - The Hulk
2013 Abarth 500 (broken engine, current project) - Abby

Romanoaf
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 13 Fiat Abarth

Re: True Ram Air

Post by Romanoaf » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:49 am

texanbrit wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:37 am The ram intake term is heavily abused, I've even seen some of the open filters under the hood called short ram intakes.

Anyway, looks like you're on the right path. I did a DRL delete to get the shortest distance to cooler, pressurized air.
If I ever upgrade to an FMIC, then that’s the route I’ll likely go aswell
13’ Abarth

Return to “Mods - 1.4 Turbo”