Gave up Tuning the 500 Turbo

Engine in the Abarth, 500T, 500L, 500X, 124, Dart, Renegade, and 2018+ 500 All.
MadFiat
Site Admin
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): madfiat
Xbox ID (Optional): madfiat

Gave up Tuning the 500 Turbo

Post by MadFiat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:03 pm

I gave up tuning my 2015 500 Turbo automatic.

Bought it over a year ago and immediately bought an EC tuner to go on it as I've always been happy with the tune and service on my Abarth. However, from the very first day, the car rejected the tune. First the tune crashed during the first load. It would hesitate horribly. Then once I managed to restore it, it loaded correctly, but there was a Check Engine Light that stayed on for the first 3 start cycles after. That would happen EVERY time I flashed the car.

Very first drive, it took off quickly but almost immediately started hesitating at WOT. I began spending the money - I'm not new at this. Coils, plugs, wastegate solenoid, wastegate actuator, BOV, new vacuum lines, intake, boost leak tests, front mount intercooler, etc. Multiple revisions from Toby.

To keep this from being too long and belaboring the point, I believe I flashed 6 major revisions of phase 2, and several times went to TF695, Phase 0 and Phase 1. All exhibited the same problem. I sent logfiles to Toby and it seemed like he had no idea what was going on or even what boost was being targeted as the revisions either lowered or raised target boost seemingly randomly.

At the end of the day, I spent a lot of money, a lot of time flashing the PCM, and still had a car that on its best day pulled a 8.4 second 0-60 time and after adaptation - with Phase 2 - would normally run around a 9.5 0-60 time. yes, THAT slow. With Phase 2. Logs showed it pulling a lot of timing out and closing the throttle.

I have been a long time supporter of EC, but enough is enough. Frustrated, I sold my tuner handheld. Probably should have given another shot but I was sick of just flashing over and over and nothing getting better.

I did ask another un-named tuner if he could tune it - but was turned down because apparently that tuner feels I am an EC shill and was merely trying to copy the tune.

So right now I have a cheap piggyback on the car - a Racechip. And guess what? It pulled its fastest 0-60 time EVER - a 7.99 - which is still slow, but much faster than any EC tune was on my car. And it's not pulling timing or closing the throttle.

I am extremely disappointed in the tuning experience I had with my 500 Turbo.
2015 Rosso Abarth 5MT - MAD FIAT - EC Phase 2 + Supporting Mods
2015 Granito Lucente 500T 6AT - Projecto Estupido
2017 Fiat 124 Spider 6MT - Another one???

Romanoaf
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 13 Fiat Abarth

Re: Gave up Tuning the 500 Turbo

Post by Romanoaf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:25 am

Sounds frustrating, I wonder if it was an issue with the Dimsport setup and encryption process. Have you considered OFT?
13’ Abarth

Return to “Mods - 1.4 Turbo”