Please Consider Clicking Here to Donate to Thank The Admins & Help Pay for the Server!

Remember: New users MUST post in the Welcome Mat or posts in other forums will be denied.

2020 Toyota Supra

Photos, discussion, etc., about Cars that Aren't Fiats.
Mangavideo
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Abarth 500c
PlayStation ID (Optional): UKCoachCalipari

2020 Toyota Supra

Post by Mangavideo » Mon May 13, 2019 12:33 pm

Anybody strolled through the YT Vid previews of this car? I have watch EverdayDriver and EngineeringExplained

As a Toyota owner, I was disappointed that it is primarily a BMW Engineered Car as they supply the motor and obviously inspired the Interior and shares a platform with the new Z4.

I'm also surprised that apparently Toyota used the Porsche Cayman as it's inspiration

For those who do not know, I think the power specs are

335 HP & 365 LBS/FT/TQ

"Initially, it was a search for practicality. Ultimately, it was a decision of Passion"

mr16valve
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 13 Abarth 500
Your Instagram (Optional): tattedmikep

Re: 2020 Toyota Supra

Post by mr16valve » Mon May 13, 2019 12:50 pm

BMW USA manufacturing is 10 miles from here. We get to see all of the camo wrapped preproduction vehicles & the newest models
(BMW has a sweet employee leasing program and most employees take advantage of that).
With that being said, I saw a Z4 M4 last week. It looks identical to the new Supra.
Sad that Toyota can't / won't develop their legendary Supra themselves.

Mangavideo
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Abarth 500c
PlayStation ID (Optional): UKCoachCalipari

Post by Mangavideo » Mon May 13, 2019 12:59 pm

mr16valve wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:50 pm
BMW USA manufacturing is 10 miles from here. We get to see all of the camo wrapped preproduction vehicles & the newest models
(BMW has a sweet employee leasing program and most employees take advantage of that).
With that being said, I saw a Z4 M4 last week. It looks identical to the new Supra.
Sad that Toyota can't / won't develop their legendary Supra themselves.
Apparently they have no interest in developing an Inline V6, but yeah. If I were a Toyota snob, it would be a deal breaker as would not being available in a MT.
"Initially, it was a search for practicality. Ultimately, it was a decision of Passion"

VisualKei
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Post by VisualKei » Mon May 13, 2019 9:21 pm

I've never driven a new car with flappy paddles, but I prefer a clutch, even though I'm not exactly a veteran to manual transmissions. Toyota outsourcing a BMW engine isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world, but it breaks away from the purity of those who want an all-Toyota project. BMW's venture with McLaren with the F1 ended up turning it into a legendary supercar (a joint-venture which Honda turned down).

I suppose DCTs will be the norm one day and no one will want to deal with the fuss of a clutch. I'm sure there are old timers that prefer a car with carbs and a choke, but since I missed that boat, I don't have a particular fondness for messing with jets and fiddling with a choke. When I watch Jay Leno's Garage and all the turn-of-the-century cars that require a ton of fiddling, they don't seem enjoyable at all to me. I'm sure people will find clutches as silly as an engine-crank one day. Even Ferrari hasn't made a car with a manual transmission in quite a while and from a practical perspective, modern "autos" get better gas mileage and outperform manuals.

That said, the old 4th gen turbo Supra is still a hoot even with a bone-stock J2Z-GTE and a manual gearbox :) People still make offers when they see it show up all the time.
Attachments
photo_2019-05-13_21-12-24.jpg
photo_2019-05-13_21-12-24.jpg (186.4 KiB) Viewed 425 times
peekaboo.jpg
peekaboo.jpg (191.19 KiB) Viewed 425 times

Return to “Cars that Aren't Fiats”