2020 Toyota Supra

Photos, discussion, etc., about Cars that Aren't Fiats.
Mangavideo
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Abarth 500c
PlayStation ID (Optional): UKCoachCalipari

2020 Toyota Supra

Post by Mangavideo » Mon May 13, 2019 12:33 pm

Anybody strolled through the YT Vid previews of this car? I have watch EverdayDriver and EngineeringExplained

As a Toyota owner, I was disappointed that it is primarily a BMW Engineered Car as they supply the motor and obviously inspired the Interior and shares a platform with the new Z4.

I'm also surprised that apparently Toyota used the Porsche Cayman as it's inspiration

For those who do not know, I think the power specs are

335 HP & 365 LBS/FT/TQ

"Initially, it was a search for practicality. Ultimately, it was a decision of Passion"

mr16valve
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 13 Abarth 500
Your Instagram (Optional): tattedmikep

Re: 2020 Toyota Supra

Post by mr16valve » Mon May 13, 2019 12:50 pm

BMW USA manufacturing is 10 miles from here. We get to see all of the camo wrapped preproduction vehicles & the newest models
(BMW has a sweet employee leasing program and most employees take advantage of that).
With that being said, I saw a Z4 M4 last week. It looks identical to the new Supra.
Sad that Toyota can't / won't develop their legendary Supra themselves.

Mangavideo
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Abarth 500c
PlayStation ID (Optional): UKCoachCalipari

Post by Mangavideo » Mon May 13, 2019 12:59 pm

mr16valve wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:50 pm BMW USA manufacturing is 10 miles from here. We get to see all of the camo wrapped preproduction vehicles & the newest models
(BMW has a sweet employee leasing program and most employees take advantage of that).
With that being said, I saw a Z4 M4 last week. It looks identical to the new Supra.
Sad that Toyota can't / won't develop their legendary Supra themselves.
Apparently they have no interest in developing an Inline V6, but yeah. If I were a Toyota snob, it would be a deal breaker as would not being available in a MT.
"Initially, it was a search for practicality. Ultimately, it was a decision of Passion"

VisualKei
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Post by VisualKei » Mon May 13, 2019 9:21 pm

I've never driven a new car with flappy paddles, but I prefer a clutch, even though I'm not exactly a veteran to manual transmissions. Toyota outsourcing a BMW engine isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world, but it breaks away from the purity of those who want an all-Toyota project. BMW's venture with McLaren with the F1 ended up turning it into a legendary supercar (a joint-venture which Honda turned down).

I suppose DCTs will be the norm one day and no one will want to deal with the fuss of a clutch. I'm sure there are old timers that prefer a car with carbs and a choke, but since I missed that boat, I don't have a particular fondness for messing with jets and fiddling with a choke. When I watch Jay Leno's Garage and all the turn-of-the-century cars that require a ton of fiddling, they don't seem enjoyable at all to me. I'm sure people will find clutches as silly as an engine-crank one day. Even Ferrari hasn't made a car with a manual transmission in quite a while and from a practical perspective, modern "autos" get better gas mileage and outperform manuals.

That said, the old 4th gen turbo Supra is still a hoot even with a bone-stock J2Z-GTE and a manual gearbox :) People still make offers when they see it show up all the time.
Attachments
photo_2019-05-13_21-12-24.jpg
photo_2019-05-13_21-12-24.jpg (186.4 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
peekaboo.jpg
peekaboo.jpg (191.19 KiB) Viewed 5826 times

Return to “Cars that Aren't Fiats”