Ambient air temperature sensor

northcoast
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2014 fiat 500 pop

Re: Ambient air temperature sensor

Post by northcoast » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:20 pm

Dsouza wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:28 pm I ordered the part as per the post. Cut the old sensor off. Retired the new sensor wiring. The temperature gauge on dashboard reads nothing and check engine light shows up. Used a scanner to find out code and it shows p0071 and p0074
This is what alldata says about P0071 (P0074 is not listed for the 500 pop)

P0071-00-AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR PERFORMANCE
Following a start to run delay time, the outputs of the ambient, engine coolant and intake air temperature sensors are compared. If the engine coolant and intake air temperature sensors agree and the ambient air temperature does not agree, the ambient air temperature sensor is declared as irrational. If declared irrational a second comparison will be done after a short drive cycle.

- When Monitored:
Engine off time is greater than 480 minutes and the vehicle has been driven for one minute over 35 mph. Ambient temperature is greater than -64° C (-83° F).

- Set Condition:
The PCM compares the ambient, engine coolant and intake air temperature sensor values. If engine coolant and intake air temperature sensors agree with each other but ambient air temperature does not agree, the ambient air temperature sensor is declared as irrational. Two Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

Diagnostic Test
ACTIVE DTC

NOTE: Diagnose any CAN - Communication DTCs in the PCM and any Ambient Air Temperature Sensor DTCs in the BCM before continuing.

1. Turn the ignition off.
2. If possible, allow the vehicle to sit with the ignition off for more than 480 minutes in an environment where the temperature is consistent and above -7°C (19.4°F).
3. Test drive the vehicle. The vehicle must exceed 48 km/h (30 mph) during the test drive. Do not cycle the ignition off when the test drive is completed.
4. With the scan tool, select View DTCs.

I had the same codes AFTER replacing the sensor.
AND
I cleared the codes INSTEAD of drive cycling as stated above and the code never came back.

So if you don't have the ability to clear the codes you need to drive cycle (test drive) the vehicle.

Link to the sensor that I purchased to repair my 500 ambient air temperature sensor in the United States.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234909728293

texanbrit
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 500c Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): paul_rogerson_tx

Re: Ambient air temperature sensor

Post by texanbrit » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:44 am

Glad you got it figured out! Thanks for the update!
2013 Abarth 500c (NGen Turbo'd) - Isabella
2012 500 Pop (broken, engine rebuild on hold) - Popabella
2014 500L (Daily workhorse) - The Hulk
2013 Abarth 500 (broken engine, current project) - Abby

Return to “Repair what you broke”