Sacrilege! Added a Variant "Ultra Quiet" Resonator

Engine in the Abarth, 500T, 500L, 500X, 124, Dart, Renegade, and 2018+ 500 All.
Mp3guy
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Abarth

Sacrilege! Added a Variant "Ultra Quiet" Resonator

Post by Mp3guy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:56 am

After almost five years of ownership, I was getting a bit tired of the noise level, especially on long trips I take on weekends. Someone had done comparison videos of three Variant resonators on the old site (also available on YouTube) but these are all at idle, so it doesn't tell you the whole story. From what I gathered:

the 8" resonator doesn't make much of a difference from stock.
the 12" reduces volume somewhat, but more important, it takes the "edge" off the sound.
The Ultra Quiet may be TOO quiet.

I agonized over the choice between the 12" and the UQ I couldn't drive my car without being obsessed over the noise level. Drove me nuts. Anyway, went for the UQ. Picked the "free shipping" button on Amazon and it STILL arrived in just 2 days.

The good news is the Ultra Quiet will NOT turn your car into a Coupe DeVille. You'll still get a good deal of sound out, but when you fire it up and it's idling high, you won't scare the squirrels. Sound is muted throughout the range, but hardly dead.

One nice noise you hear again? A bit of gear whine from the transmission. Haven't heard that in ages. The radio is more usable too. Glad I did it.

Return to “Mods - 1.4 Turbo”