Preloading the front swaybar.

Try to Not Fall Over
sportfan
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Fiat 500 Sport

Preloading the front swaybar.

Post by sportfan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:09 pm

Is anyone that has adjustable swaybar end links adjust them to preload the swaybar ? Before I got mine I was running the OEM end links on a lowered car which preloaded the swaybar about an inch. I think it handled a little better during hard driving. I am running an aftermarket 25mm swaybar. Am I dreaming ?

BecauseAbarth
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2014 Fiat Abarth

Re: Preloading the front swaybar.

Post by BecauseAbarth » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:05 pm

I thought the whole point of the adjustable end links were so that the swaybar was not preloaded - I could be completely off basis though

doverosx
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Post by doverosx » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:43 am

BecauseAbarth wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:05 pm I thought the whole point of the adjustable end links were so that the swaybar was not preloaded - I could be completely off basis though
Yes. Sway bar preload is an indicator of friction and you don't want friction. If you want more spring force, get better springs.

sportfan

Post by sportfan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:07 am

Both of you are more than likely right. When I installed the lowering springs months ago , the OEM links were preloading the swaybar. Nobody seems to warn you that you will need the adjustable links to avoid this. So when I got the adjustable links, I found that they were preloaded with the OEM ones. It may just be me but, I think it handled better during very aggressive driving , like Twisted Sisters, than without any preload. I have Neu-f springs and Yellow Konis. Thanks.

BecauseAbarth
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2014 Fiat Abarth

Post by BecauseAbarth » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:11 am

I think if you were circle track racing - preloading one side to make better turns one way would be correct - but in a street car we turn both ways so preloading both would not be as helpful as you wouldnt be getting the full benefit of the sway bar - If i remember correctly you have a DNA adjustable sway bar??? Im pretty sure you were the sort keeping up with the big dogs on the twisted sisters. - if you have the adjustable sway bar - i would assume adjusting it from the sway bar would be best and keeping the endlinks neutral

Scallootch
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2012/FIAT/500
Your Instagram (Optional): Scallootch

Post by Scallootch » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:01 am

When I was a Formula BMW mechanic it was SOP to ensure that anti-roll bars had zero preload after adjusting ride heights. Basically, you may end up adjusting coilovers to slightly different heights in the interest of cornerweighting. As such, you need adjustable ARB droplinks to compensate.

Happy motoring.

doverosx
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Post by doverosx » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:30 pm

sportfan wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:07 am Both of you are more than likely right. When I installed the lowering springs months ago , the OEM links were preloading the swaybar. Nobody seems to warn you that you will need the adjustable links to avoid this. So when I got the adjustable links, I found that they were preloaded with the OEM ones. It may just be me but, I think it handled better during very aggressive driving , like Twisted Sisters, than without any preload. I have Neu-f springs and Yellow Konis. Thanks.
That's only true when the surface is smooth. On uneven and unsmooth pavement (99% of roads), you will not be producing more grip. The better gripping suspension will not FEEL "better", you will KNOW it is better.

sportfan

Post by sportfan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:17 pm

Because Abarth, I was the one at Twisted Sisters playing with the big kids. I can't wait until next time . I have a header with a hiflow cat and EC 's NA header tune. I'm running the adjustable N-uef sway bar. I've got to checkout how the bar is adjusted. I like your advice ( and all the others ). I'll leave the links neutral and stiffen up the bar if it isn't adjusted that way. Thanks.

texanbrit
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 500c Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): paul_rogerson_tx

Post by texanbrit » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:27 am

I have the Neu-f front sway bar, on my Abarth, on it's loosest setting. I've had it on stiffer settings but backed it off chasing the feel I want. I think your car handles fantastically well and I thought about the bar for the Pop too. I'll be honest the Pop is a little tail happy when pushed hard, but it I've been happy driving a little slower with a smile on my face.
2013 Abarth 500c (NGen Turbo'd) - Isabella
2012 500 Pop (broken, engine rebuild on hold) - Popabella
2014 500L (Daily workhorse) - The Hulk
2013 Abarth 500 (broken engine, current project) - Abby

Scallootch
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2012/FIAT/500
Your Instagram (Optional): Scallootch

Post by Scallootch » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:54 am

Paul, I find that the tail-happiness can be tuned out with MOAR THROTTLES!!!!

My alignment guy advised I reconnect the front bar after he zeroed my Pop's front toe, reduced the rear toe-in, and tried a brief test drive. Said the thing was extremely tail-happy with the ST rear bar.

Those Miata guys just don't understand!

Return to “Handling Mods - Fiat 500 / 500 Abarth”