General AS-05 tires

Try to Not Fall Over
FartieBartie
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

General AS-05 tires

Post by FartieBartie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:45 am

I just ordered a set of these for FartieBartie, I couldn’t find any reviews or comments about them on an Abarth, it seems most people steer towards a more aggressive tire but I needed something more suited to my 75 mile commute.

I’ll update this post with my impressions for anyone interested in a cost effective UHP all season.

For reference, the tires I’m removing are a set of Hankook Ventus V2 concept2, they only lasted 15,000 miles.

Nate

BecauseAbarth
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2014 Fiat Abarth

Re: General AS-05 tires

Post by BecauseAbarth » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:55 am

Im very surprised that the Hankooks only lasted 15000 miles? have you checked your alignment? I have some aggressive continentals that have done a twisted sisters event and track day and a 1 year of 80 mile round trip daily work driving and they still look in great condition (easily 20 thousand miles) - My opinion is that these cars being lighter than most seem to do ok on tires and thats why people tend to go aggressive because they can get the performance and longer tire life - someone can chime in and give their opinions on their tire wear - this is just what i have seen with my abarth

Let us know your review of the new tires - the more knowledge we can get on this forum the better

texanbrit
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 500c Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): paul_rogerson_tx

Post by texanbrit » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:13 pm

I'm running Federal 595EVO as my daily and they work well for that on the Pop.
2013 Abarth 500c (NGen Turbo'd) - Isabella
2012 500 Pop (broken, engine rebuild on hold) - Popabella
2014 500L (Daily workhorse) - The Hulk
2013 Abarth 500 (broken engine, current project) - Abby

doverosx
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Post by doverosx » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:44 am

Tire rack reviewed these a week or two ago, why were you unable to find it? I think the AS-05 is a great tire for those that don’t do any performance driving but still want respectable grip and long life. The AS-05 is a top performer in wet weather, improving upon the leading wet grip of the AS-03. Hydroplane resistance was excellent with the AS-03.

The weakness for the 3 was loud noise especially as the tread wore down, but the 5 may have improved this area. Let us know!!

FartieBartie
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

Post by FartieBartie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:18 am

BecauseAbarth wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:55 am Im very surprised that the Hankooks only lasted 15000 miles? have you checked your alignment?
I was never happy with the Hankooks, They were ok when new but the ride quality and grip diminished quickly with age, wet conditions were especially scary. I do need an alignment as my car takes a beating between the bad roads around here and a giant drainage ditch I have to traverse every day to get into work ( I have to take it at an angle and the car teeters on two wheels), so that is definitely a contributing variable to their accelerated wear. The odd part about the Hankooks is the excessive shoulder wear I experienced, I tried many different pressures but nothing seemed to make a difference.

I noticed most of the wear happening on the front tires, I'm of the opinion these cars are hard on the front tires.
texanbrit wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:13 pm I'm running Federal 595EVO as my daily and they work well for that on the Pop.
I strongly considered these but got a very good deal on the AS-05. If I ever upgrade to a 15" wheel I'll probably try these.
doverosx wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:44 am Tire rack reviewed these a week or two ago, why were you unable to find it? I think the AS-05 is a great tire for those that don’t do any performance driving but still want respectable grip and long life. The AS-05 is a top performer in wet weather, improving upon the leading wet grip of the AS-03. Hydroplane resistance was excellent with the AS-03.

The weakness for the 3 was loud noise especially as the tread wore down, but the 5 may have improved this area. Let us know!!
The most aggressive driving I do is spirited back/mountain roads (no autox etc.), my area has a heavy rain season with lots of flash flooding and standing water so wet performance was a major consideration in my choice.

I'm sure I can easily find the limits of these tires, but if they can hold up to my commute while returning stability in the rain and predictable grip in the dry I'll be happy.
IMG_0293.JPG
IMG_0293.JPG (127.68 KiB) Viewed 5008 times
Off to get them mounted!

Return to “Handling Mods - Fiat 500 / 500 Abarth”