New Englander searching for Fiat

You MUST post in this forum BEFORE you can post in any other forum.
gojira
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: Searching for a Fiat

New Englander searching for Fiat

Post by gojira » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:36 pm

Hi,

I live in central NH and am looking for a FIAT that I can do some mods on. I'm initially thinking about a 124, but I had a 500 rental in the UK that was a hoot, so a 500 Abarth might be in the cards, especially at the price points I see for used ones. I think I physically fit in a 124 a bit better though.

I'm not too worried about wrenching on a car as I've owned more cars than I can count. The closest I've come to owning an Italian car in the past though was a 1970 Innocenti Mino Cooper - 998cc of fury! I also owned a Citroën SM almost 40 years ago when I was a couple of years out of school and that car definitely ate my lunch money. :D

The thing I'm trying to figure out with the 124, is how much difference is there between an Abarth and one of the lower trims, say a Lusso, if I know I'm going to replace the exhaust, tune, etc. I'll appreciate any and all comments. Thanks!

texanbrit
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 500c Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): paul_rogerson_tx

Re: New Englander searching for Fiat

Post by texanbrit » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:56 pm

There is also the X1/9 that you see come up as project cars quite often. I'm no expert on the classic 124s, but I know a couple of folks who are. Shoot me a PM if you are interested and I'll try to hook you up with them. Fiat Club America is also a tremendous resource for the classic Fiats.
2013 Abarth 500c (NGen Turbo'd) - Isabella
2012 500 Pop (broken, engine rebuild on hold) - Popabella
2014 500L (Daily workhorse) - The Hulk
2013 Abarth 500 (broken engine, current project) - Abby

Mp3guy
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Abarth

Re: New Englander searching for Fiat

Post by Mp3guy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 am

Since the Abarth and the 124 use the same 1.4L motor, most mods are quite similar. As far as owning a convertible with a louder exhaust, that is up to the taste of the owner.

Performance wise, there isn't a heck of a lot of difference between the Abarth and the Lusso. If I were a New Englander, with all those nice roads to tour, consider a Lusso for comfort and adding a tune later for speed.

Return to “Welcome Mat”