2013 Fiat 500 Abarth (Manual) (No Crank Condition)

Fiat 500s with Terbows.
Abarth_gimli
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth (Manual)

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth (Manual) (No Crank Condition)

Post by Abarth_gimli » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:48 pm

I hope this email finds you well.

Sir, this is regarding my 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth (manual) which I purchased used 8 months back (then mileage 99,995 miles) and which is at 106,000 miles currently. I got it serviced around 1300 miles ago and it stopped running 3 weeks ago. I am currently based in College Park, MD.

Background:
Usually, when it was working well, I started it (cranking it) immediately in the same action as turning it on after inserting the key. Before it stopped running, it used to give me starting problems such as when I put in the ignition key and cranked it in the same action as turning it on, it wouldn't crank at all. So then I had to turn the ignition off then again in the on position, let all the dash lights come on and off, and then crank it, and then it would start. Subsequently, it started sputtering when started. I connected an OBD2 sensor and it gave me a cylinder misfire code and would give an oil supply solenoid valve switch on/off time out of range for the same cylinder. I checked that multiple times and the cylinder number used to change. I rarely use cruise control, but a few days before it gave up on me the cruise control stopped working.

The problem now:
So the problem is when I plug in the key and turn on the ignition key once (i.e., accessory on position, without doing the next turn for cranking) I hear this continuous knocking sound. When I try cranking it to start, it doesn't crank at all/start and doesn't give me anything. Moreover, when the key is is in the ignition it gives random stationary lights on the dash which can be seen in the video.

Troubleshooting:
I got the battery load tested and it is in good condition. To my satisfaction, I tried to jump-start it and it did not work. I checked all the fuses and they are good. I checked the starter relay and it is working. I also tried interchanging the starter relay with other 30A relays and the knocking sound still persists that indicated relays are fine. To see if there is an electrical-only problem I tried to push start the car (since it's a manual) and it did not start.

Being a veteran with the Italian cars, I'd really appreciate your advice on how I should proceed with the diagnosis and what the problem may be? I am looking to save some money (if I can) by not going to a dealer unless it is totally necessary since they were charging me anywhere between $300-$350 just for diagnosing the problem.

I'd be grateful if you can help me.

Thank you

texanbrit
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 500c Abarth
Your Instagram (Optional): paul_rogerson_tx

Re: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth (Manual) (No Crank Condition)

Post by texanbrit » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:35 pm

So when you put the car in accessory mode the fuel pump tries to build pressure, so my first thought that was fuel pump had issues (knocking) but the random lights is leaning me to a harness issue (or possibly the ECU). I'd start with the engine loom, negative battery connection, the primary ground between the transmission and the frame (under the battery box) and following the wiring around the block making sure all the grounds are clean.
2013 Abarth 500c (NGen Turbo'd) - Isabella
2012 500 Pop (broken, engine rebuild on hold) - Popabella
2014 500L (Daily workhorse) - The Hulk
2013 Abarth 500 (broken engine, current project) - Abby

sportfan
Your Car's Year / Make / Model: 2013 Fiat 500 Sport

Re: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth (Manual) (No Crank Condition)

Post by sportfan » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:51 pm

Isn't there a switch on the transmission that is activated by pushing in the clutch? Could it be bad?

Return to “Tech - Fiat 500 Abarth / T / 2018+ Pop/Lounge etc”